Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Children's Book Illustration




50 + color illustrations for "Jameela's Big Adventure" published November 2009.
This is my first published work. It is a good example of working on a deadline, as the author needed 50 drawings in a month.
It was also an excellent learning experience. I definitely under-estimated how much time it takes to do it in color, especially since the author only needed black and white. It really drove home how much of the time is used on simply creating a decent composition, but I really wanted to make a good impression, and then the author could print it in color down the line.
Needless to say, this made for some late nights and Dr. Pepper saturated kidneys.
In some some ways this was a failure, as the story really would have been served well with a simpler style. I learned it's important to keep things in perspective, and to communicate more with my employer. Knowing how the images would be incorporated with the text would have been helpful for a better flowing page. I think it was a learning for the both of us.






No comments:

Post a Comment